MANIFEST, now available on HBO Max, presents an unsettling story that combines elements of mystery and supernatural, while conveying a sense of realism that begs the question: could something like what the passengers on that strange flight experienced happen in real life? But this is just one of the exciting science fiction stories you can find on HBO Max.
The story of MANIFEST revolves around the inexplicable disappearance of a commercial airliner that, even more mysteriously, returns five years after it was reported lost at sea. While time has not passed for those on the flight, for their loved ones, years have passed and they have had to learn to live with their loss. As the story unfolds, the government investigates how and why this anomaly occurred. But in addition to the mystery of what happened on that flight, there is also a hidden mystery related to what happened to the passengers and why.
We invite you to enjoy other science fiction stories from series and movies ranging from time travel in a groundbreaking story created by Christopher Nolan in TENET to the adaptation of Ernest Cline's novel, READY PLAYER ONE. These are some of the stories you can enjoy on HBO Max:
- John David Washington is the new Protagonist in Christopher Nolan's original sci-fi action spectacle Tenet. Armed with only one word—Tenet—and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time. Not time travel. Inversion.
READY PLAYER ONE (movie)
- From Steven Spielberg, this sci-fi action adventure is set in 2045 at a time when the world is on the brink of chaos and destruction. However, humanity has found its salvation in the OASIS, a vast virtual reality world created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday passes away, he offers his immense fortune to the first person to find a virtual Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, setting up a competition that fascinates everyone. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts decides to participate, he embarks on a dizzying, reality-altering treasure hunt through a fantastic universe full of mystery, discovery and danger.
THE LEFTOVERS (TV Series)
- This enthralling drama series focuses on a suburban town of people whose preconceptions are shattered in the wake of a global event dubbed The Departure, during which, as in the rapture described in the bible, some humans were taken and others left behind. Three years after the fateful October day when 140 million people -- two percent of the world's population -- disappeared without a trace, the denizens of the town of Mapleton struggle to comprehend and cope. Seen primarily through the eyes of beleaguered police chief Kevin Garvey, the series shows how ordinary folks react to inexplicable events that can unite or divide families and communities, revealing how the strain of an unprecedented calamity can turn people's faith into cynicism, paranoia, madness or cult like fanaticism. Created by Damon Lindelof, Emmy Award winner for Lost, and acclaimed novelist Tom Perrotta.
WESTWORLD (TV Series)
- Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? In this dark odyssey, which chronicles the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin, a malfunction unleashes terror and chaos among tourists at a futuristic, adult-themed amusement park dedicated to forbidden fantasies. Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs, Amistad) plays Dr. Robert Ford, a brilliant, taciturn and complex creative director who is also Westworld's chief programmer and chairman of the board and has an uncompromising creative vision... and a very unorthodox way of executing it.
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO (TV series)
- Roswell, New Mexico, is not just any place on planet Earth, it is ground zero for those seeking proof of the existence of aliens. One of its native inhabitants, Liz Ortecho, abandoned it 10 years ago after the death of her beloved older sister, Rosa. But now that her father has fallen ill she reluctantly returns to a town that has become a tourist trap to move in with him. When Liz arrives, she returns to see Max Evans, her teenage sweetheart, who is now a cop in Roswell. The two instantly feel a strong chemistry. But Liz soon discovers a grim truth: Max is an alien who has kept his supernatural powers hidden all his life, along with those of his sister, Isobel "Izzie" and her friend Michael.